MTI 100: Medtronic Still Leads, While M&A, Strategic Moves Elevate Others
After knocking Johnson & Johnson off its long-held top position last year, Medtronic has successfully retained the lead in the global medtech market for the second year running in Medtech Insight's MTI 100 rankings. Meanwhile, movement and reshuffling in the ranks continued among other top-tier industry players as they reaped the rewards from previous M&A deals and long-term growth strategies. In this article, we take a closer look at the top-10 overall players, and see who's leapt in front of rivals and who's left eating dust in Medtech Insight's 2017 edition of its annual ranking.
You may also be interested in...
GE Healthcare will become a standalone company, distinct from GE, as the conglomerate focuses on its aviation, power, and renewable energy businesses, the company announced June 26. Current GE Healthcare CEO Kieran Murphy will continue to lead the business, which will maintain the GE Healthcare brand. GE plans to monetize 20% and distribute the remaining 80% of GE Healthcare to shareholders tax-free.
Some two months after disclosing its intention to cast off its struggling cardiac rhythm management unit, LivaNova has struck a deal to sell the business to its Chinese joint-venture partner MicroPort Scientific at a discounted price of $190m.
Recovery from the hurricane, which devastated four Medtronic facilities located on Puerto Rico, is projected to cost $50m to $60m, according to a preliminary second-quarter earnings estimate from the firm. Last month, the company suggested costs could be as high as $250m.